Organizing your Garage the Right Way

Have you thought about organizing your garage recently? If you are like most people, your car is a big 5 figure investment that you could never do without. So why in the world would you ever let it sit it outdoors, where it would be exposed to all the elements, various bird droppings, and even tree sap? And it is never fun to climbing into a car that is scalding hot in the summer time, and requires windshield scraping in the winter time. Storing your 4 wheel investment in your garage will also keep it much cleaner and make it last much longer too.

Professional organizers tell us that only 30% of people actually store their cars in their garages. This is amazing and the obvious reason is the other 70% has accumulated too much stuff. So the garage has become a big hefty storage area. Organizing your garage is a huge need.

Decluttering is really a state of mind and it only takes a little discipline to turn the tide of your clutter. To begin with, we need to set aside at least one complete day, or a full weekend to focus on decluttering our garage. It is recommended that you get your entire family involved so that every potential clutterer in your house gets to “buy into” the decluttering exercise. You must then go through every single thing in your garage – open every single box and drawer.

Sort your items into three categories. The things you want to keep, the things you want to donate or sell, and the things you want to throw away. Set three difference tarps, or you could mark off three areas on your driveway with chalk.

Some of the no-brainer things that need to be thrown out are toys that have been outgrown, items that are broke, expired household paints and chemicals (which most likely require special disposal), and any item that you have not in the last two years or more. For people, who struggle with letting things go because of sentimental reason, take pictures of them for keepsakes.

After decluttering is complete, check out these great ideas for organizing your garage:

How to Organize a Garage in 5 Steps household stores things in their garage they shouldn’t. “Usually there is just too much of everything and it becomes a dumping ground for all kinds of things,” says Jumper. So if you’ve accumulated massive amounts of clutter, you are not alone. And take heart, chances are your garage has nothing on what these pros have seen while organizing client’s garages: dead and live animals, spoiled food, photographs ruined by moisture, termite-infested furniture that never made it to the dump — the list goes on and on. How to Organize a Garage in 5 Steps

10 Tips for How to Organize Your Garage available inch of wall in my garage has shelves, which maximizes my space. I’m a big fan of Gorilla Racks, because they’re relatively affordable, easy to assemble, stable, and hold a ton of weight. I’m not afraid to load them down with coolers, car camping stoves, and other bulky items. If you’re on a budget, check out these affordable plastic shelves that snap together in five minutes and are great for lightweight bins. 10 Tips for How to Organize Your Garage | Outside Online

51 Brilliant Ways to Organize Your Garage storage bins are a great way to separate and organize your equipment by sport or season. Unfortunately, they usually get stacked against a wall somewhere, which makes getting to the bottom bins difficult, especially for your household’s littlest teammates. Luckily, a permanent solution is only a weekend away with our easy-to-build storage towers that are an attractive and ingenious way to provide easy access to your bins. Consider different color bins for each sport to make finding what you need a breeze, and utilize the sides of the wooden frame for wall-mounted accessory items such as fishing rod holders or utility hooks for lightweight equipment. 51 Brilliant Ways to Organize Your Garage | The Family Handyman



Originally posted 2018-08-04 09:51:39.


  1. […] The main TV is usually there and dens are typically adjacent to the kitchen as well. So dens are very prone to clutter as many things are dropped and left there by all family members. There is nothing wrong with this, […]

Speak Your Mind